- Physics B.Sc. (Hons.), U. Nottingham, 1972
- Applied Geophysics M.Sc., U. Birmingham, 1973
- Geophysics Ph.D., U. Edinburgh, 1977
- 1977 - 1981: Research Associate, Munster University, Germany
- 1982 - 1983: Post-Doctoral Fellow, U. Toronto, Canada
- 1984 - 2003: Research Scientist, Senior Research Scientist, Geological Survey of Canada, Ottawa, Canada
- 2004 - 2015: Senior Professor, Head of Geophysics, Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies, Ireland
- 2009 - 2015: Founder and Director, Irish Geoscience Graduate Programme
- 2015 - present: Senior Professor Emeritus, Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies, Ireland
- 2015 - present: Specially-Appointed Professor, China University of Geosciences Beijing, China
- 2015 - present: Adjunct Professor, Macquarie University (Sydney) and University of Western Australia (Perth)
Over 185 papers published (see full list here), over 10,000 citations, h-index of 51. See google scholar link
15 Post-Doctoral Fellows trained, 19 students graduated (12 Ph.D., 7 M.Sc.) and 4 currently supervised.
Undertaking MT since 1974. Involved in developing all aspects of the method. The most published and most cited scientist in MT.
World-leading expert on all aspects of MT, especially distortion effects.
Co-editor of the academia and industry standard MT textbook - The Magnetotelluric Method: Theory and Practice
Industry Collaborations & Engagement:
Phoenix Geophysics, Geosystem, INCO, Tullow Oil, De Beers, Rio Tinto, BHP Billiton, ABEM (Sweden), Teck Australia, IMC Global
Alan G Jones, P.Geo.